Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Pita Pizzas


Over Christmas break we discovered a new favorite way to make personal pizzas. We are big on pizza here in our house. I constantly crave this whole - wheat goat cheese, proscuitto, and carmelized onion pizza. My kids, however, are fans of the kiddo fave - cheese pizza, or if they are living really dangerously, cheese and pepperoni.

Enter a new way to prepare pizza - on pita bread. How have I never heard of this before?

Ingredients:

whole-wheat round pita breads (1 per pizza)
sauce of choice (my kids love a basic marinara, but get creative and try olive oil or an alfredo sauce)
cheese of choice
toppings of choice

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. I think it works best when you place the pita breads in the oven for a few minutes to toast the underside prior to putting toppings on, but if you don't mind your pizza not having a crisp crust, you can forego the toasting.
2. Build your pizza with sauce and toppings of choice. This is the kids favorite step!
3. Place pizzas in the oven on a cookie sheet (line with parchment paper to save yourself some clean up).
4. Let cook for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted on top and ready to eat.
Enjoy!

My brilliant sister shared this new way to make pizzas with me. In the summer they build their pizzas and pop them right onto the grill for cooking. What a fun summertime party idea! Trader Joe's sells mini pita breads (about the size of a silver dollar) - I am excited to make little mini pizzas as a snack.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails